Fall 2018: Renee Sang

          Thanks to the Rollins Art Department’s Research and Travel scholarship, I was able to attend my semester study abroad program in London without too much financial burden. As a cultural hub for art and film, I was able to grow as an artist in London in terms of knowledge and experience while also developing my own creative skills in the process. 
London has many infamous museums and exhibitions and has also been involved in many of the art historical movements that have shaped art into what it is today. I had the opportunity to visit the Tate Modern on multiple occasions, the Tate Britain, the National Portrait Gallery, the Newport Street Gallery, and a few smaller galleries in London. I feel that I was able to strengthen my knowledge in art history and important figures in the field. I was grateful to be amongst and firsthand view famous art pieces that I had previously only read about and heard of from my studies such as Monet’s “Water Lilies,” “Guerilla Girls Talk Back,” and Andy Warhol’s “Marilyn Diptych.” In addition, I also had the opportunity to visit galleries and see artworks around other parts of Europe including the Louvre in Paris, the Henri Matisse museum in Nice, and Van Gogh’s inspirations in Arles, among a few. 
Since I had only most recently picked up Studio Art as a major, I was limited in my own experience and insight. In my time in London and Europe, I was able to creatively experiment with 35mm film photography, digital photography, video editing, and painting to consider ideas in preparation for my Senior Year Exhibition. Since shooting in film has taken a backseat to shooting digitally, 35mm has become quite an investment with having to pay for film rolls and development costs. I was able to capture the scenes from my travels with my film camera thanks to the financial assistance from this scholarship. 
My favorite trip from this experience was visiting Arles, France after learning about Vincent Van Gogh in my London art history course. Van Gogh lived and painted in Arles for a period in his life and thought that the light there was best. I ended up going on my own self-guided tour of the small city, and capturing my favorite roll of film to date. I was also able to visit the sights where many of his works were painted, including the Café La Nuit, the Arles Hospital, and the Rhone river. 
I am extremely grateful to have gotten the chance to attend this experience and learn from what London’s art scene has to offer. Thank you to the Rollins Art Department for assisting me and being fully supportive of my creative endeavors!

Comments

Popular Posts