Fall 2016 Travel: Brianna Cooney

In her own words, Cooney reflects on her study abroad experience: 
"Studying abroad has been one of the best experiences of my life and I left part of my heart in the Emerald Island.  Reflecting on my time spent in Ireland brings up nothing but great memories. Sure, there were definitely some difficult times (missing my family, adjusting to a different culture) but I would not change the experience for anything.  Although, I have only been home for a few days, I can already tell that it will take some time to adjust to life back home. I had finally felt at home in Maynooth and then it was time to leave.
At Maynooth, I was able to meet people from all over the world and many other Americans. We really got to know each other through classes and weekly dinners that we would have. We shared our experiences, our cultures, and stories from back home. It was so difficult to say goodbye to my new friends but I know that I made some lifelong friendships.
My identity and values that I have grown up with definitely carried over to how I experienced life in Ireland. It was interesting being able to compare my thoughts and opinions with other people who didn’t live in the US.  Learning from others and living in a foreign country has changed the way that I view the world for the better.  I am more confident in my decisions and I have learned to experience and view things in a new light.
Over the course of these past few months, I have come to appreciate all that I have experienced in Ireland and all that I left back at home.  I have also come to realize how fortunate I am for being able to go to Rollins and I have learned to take nothing for granted.  I love Ireland and I view it as my home away from home.  I am incredibly grateful for the friends that I made while abroad.  I loved immersing myself in the Irish culture by experiencing its natural beauty, museums, and cities and I can’t wait until I can go back and visit again."

Comments

Popular Posts