Fall 2017 Travel: Meredith Ewen

     

       "Having the opportunity to visit Chicago provided me with an experience and space to engage more intimately with how I understand and interact with art – both the participatory and object based. Going from museum to museum, I got the chance to absorb the energy of artworks such as Rodin’s The Thinker or the colossal statue of King Tut and remember that art is not a static presence, but demands a sustained interest and relationship to truly appreciate its power. In other spaces, such as the Art Institute, I was afforded the opportunity to see works of artists within the contemporary canon, like Jeff Koons, and was reminded that although art may be about the artist’s idea it is also about their hands and the traces they leave behind of their experiences and their existence. 
        The main focus of this excursion was to interact with the works of Edra Soto and Theaster Gates, who are both Chicago based, community engaged artist who work with South Side Chicago’s residents. Although both of their works were rather static during the 0 degree winter that I was there during, having the chance to witness and respond to these works aided the formulation of how I perceive the role of the community engaged artist. Although, the works were not in action, having the chance to see the Dorchester Projects in the context of South Side helped me reconsider his work and see its humility and notice the clandestine nature of his work. As I prepare to pursue my senior capstone in the studio program, with a focus on the community engaged aspect of art, I will be able to bear in mind their practices and the aesthetic philosophy of their work as I engage with my own practice. The role of the community based artist is not to save or to collect for personal gain, the role of the community engaged artist should be to foster growth while carrying with them humility and grace." 

Comments

Popular Posts