Spring 2019: Cameron Robinson


My role as a participant on the Vietnam Culture and History field study this summer has been a huge and memorable experience for me. As an Asian American, I have always had a passion for speaking up for the Asian community both in my hometown, Orlando, and everywhere else I go. I had three main reasons for applying for the Vietnam field study: 1) in order to finish my minor at Rollins in History; 2) as a way for me to learn firsthand about Vietnamese art, architecture, history, and people and directly see how the Vietnam War heavily relied on propaganda-like art to gain support from the country and how artifacts from the war are still used as propaganda today; and 3) to learn more about Asian cultures in order for me to be a better ally and to, hopefully, be someone who educates others about racism and stereotypes they may have about/towards Asian people. On this field study I visited many cities in all part of the country; went to the War Remnants History Museum, Women’s History Museum, Independence Palace, many pagodas, and more; ate a bunch of amazing food; and interacted with and learned from locals from each city we went to. The natural beauty of Vietnam took my breath away with every new place we explored, but what surprised me most about this country was something I did not expect. 

As an American, I think I expected the country as a whole to be more affected by the long war that was the Vietnam War, especially because it is taught so much in schools and I have family members who fought in it. Instead, Vietnam is quickly becoming urban, global, and modern, all very successfully under communism, something I feel like the United States does not like. Political beliefs aside, Vietnam is a fast growing country and has managed to have traditions still hold a solid root in the everyday lives of its people. Vietnam has been able to rise above the war and it has personally shared with me everything that is beautiful about it, its people, landscape, and food. I am so thankful that I was able to travel to this country and part of the world, something I give great thanks to the Art and Art History Department. My major has always supported me and my goals and I cannot thank the professors, donors, and peers enough.


Comments

Popular Posts