Spring 2019: Danie Forero



Colombia Trip May 28 – June 10, 2019
I traveled to the capital cities of Bogotá and Medellín in Colombia this summer. Throughout the trip I was able to reconnect with family and hear about their historical connections to the cities. From climbing to a lagoon in the mountains to a church on a hill 10,000 feet above sea level, this trip was an amazing opportunity to learn more about the Colombian culture.
Both cities had a collection of works by the Colombian artist Fernando Botero. While at a Botero museum in Bogotá, I spent some time speaking to one of employees. He spoke at length about how Botero donated all his works in the museum on the condition that it remains open to the public at no cost. I was surprised to see the scale of his pieces and the variety of subject matter. Much of the subject matter dealt with family, which I have focused my art on this past year. Later in the trip I also had the chance to visit the museum of Antioquia in Medellin, which also housed a large selection of Botero’s work. The museum is situated next to a plaza which displays many of Botero’s sculptural pieces.
In addition to viewing the larger than life works of Botero, the national and regional museums introduced me to other Colombian artists. The national museum exhibited the works of Colombian artist Pedro Nel Gomez, who told the struggles and stories of the country’s people through his murals. Along with his works, the museum also housed similar works from other artists that showed the achievements of country. While I enjoyed the museums throughout Bogotá and Medellín, I found that the more interesting stories of the country were told within areas of cultural importance. For example, I visited Lake Guatavita, an area known for its connection to its indigenous population and the birthplace for the legend of El Dorado due to the multitudes of golden offerings supposedly beneath the water’s surface.
This trip offered me a unique experience, and allowed me the opportunity to view the country both from both the perspective of a traveler and through the stories of family members. 

Comments

Popular Posts